Reporting Options

There are many options when it comes to reporting incidents of assault, violence, and harassment. Advocates from The Aurora Center can help you before and throughout the reporting process. You can report to law enforcement, the university Equal Opportunity & Affirmative Action office, leaders of an academic department or student organization, etc.


Law Enforcement

If you'd like to file a police report with the University of Minnesota Police Department (UMPD), the Minneapolis Police Department (MPD), the St. Paul Police Department (SPPD), or another law enforcement agency, we recommend contacting The Aurora Center. Advocates can meet you at the police station or arrange an officer to meet you at our comfortable offices to file a report.

Learn more about UMPD's role in investigating sexual assault reports here.


Students, staff, faculty, parents, and community members may also report incidents of sexual assault, sexual harassment, relationship violence, and stalking (all are Title IX violations) to the Office of Equal Opportunity & Affirmative Action in person or online.

EOAA follows up on all reports they receive. After EOAA conducts an investigation, and when the accused is a student, EOAA shares the finding with the Office for Community Standards (OCS). OCS then determines sanctions based on the investigation and informs the reporting party and accused student. Either party may request a hearing for further review of the incident and outcome.

To learn more about university policies on sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking or sexual harassment, and/or how to report or respond to these incidents, visit: