Click the "Quick Escape Button" or the Escape key on your keyboard to leave this page quickly.

Relationship Violence

If you have experienced violence in your relationship, we encourage you to consider the following:

  1. If you are in immediate danger, contact 911.
  2. If you need immediate shelter/housing assistance, contact Minnesota Day One Emergency Shelter & Crisis Hotline at: 1-866-223-1111. 
  3. Go someplace safe.
  4. Tell a person who will support you and/or call The Aurora Center at 612-626-9111.
  5. Have your medical needs attended to at a hospital or clinic.
  6. Think about how you can keep yourself safe for the next 72 hours. Contact The Aurora Center for information on local shelters and other resources or to discuss a safety plan or restraining order.
  7. Consider filing a Harassment Restraining Order or and Order for Protection. The Aurora Center may be able to assist with this or you can file a protective order on your own by accessing the MN Court Forms.
  8. Consider filing a police report. The Aurora Center can facilitate and support you through this process. You can contact the police on campus by dialing 911.
  9. Consider joining a support group for survivors of relationship violence.

Cycle of Violence


University of Minnesota Policy (Academic/Administrative Policy 2.3.6)

Relationship Violence:

Causing physical harm or abuse, and threats of physical harm or abuse, arising out of a personal, intimate relationship. Relationship violence often is a criminal act that can be prosecuted under Minnesota state law, as well as under the Student Conduct Code and employee discipline procedures.